347. Wilkin P, Davis A, Demissew S, Etherington T, Goodwin M, Heslop-Harrison P, Schwarzacher T, Willis K. 2018. A perspective to enhance innovative research with emphasis on varietal diversity and sustainable utilization of enset (Ensete ventricosum). Ethiopian Journal of Biological Sciences 17(Suppl.): 201–209.
The current status of enset in cultivation in Ethiopia and its more widely distributed wild populations is reviewed. Biodiversity research gaps are identified, and the potential benefits of the plant and benefits of undertaking that research are discussed, in particular on food and resource security and livelihoods in Ethiopia. Knowledge of the resilience of enset will provide the evidence base underpinning a decision whether to expand its use
Key words/phrases: Diversity, Enset, Food security, Livelihoods, Resilience.
Specific research needs
– a. Comprehensive field surveying;
– b. Determination of inflorescence form and function;
– c. Quantification of the genetic diversity of cultivated and wild enset in Ethiopia;
– d. Surveying ploidy;
– e. Determining the resilience of cultivated enset to pests and pathogens;
– f. Relationships with mycorrhizal fungi and other soil organisms.
Potential benefits and beneficiaries
The video of my talk about genomics for presentation at the meeting giving rise to this publication is given at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJCDQVedVU